As the summer in Shanghai is in full swing so is everything fresh, green, and light! July and August in Shanghai for me means good food, picnics in the park, pool parties, trips to the forest, reading, and unwinding at home.
What does summer mean to you?
If summer for you is about food and socialising then these three delicious, simple and light recipes will help you savour not only the flavours of summer but also the time you spend with friends.
SWEET, MINTY AND SPICY PEA HUMMUS
(This is a hit with my friends, a hit with me, so I'm sure you will love it too!)
- 3 cups of frozen sweet peas – thaw the frozen peas
- 3 drops of Lemon DoTerra oil or 3 tbsp of lemon/lime juice
- 20 mint leaves
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp of tahini paste
- 1 tbsp of ground cumin seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp pickled red chillies or just fresh chillies - finely chopped
- ½ tsp of unprocessed Celtic sea salt
Thaw the frozen peas in cool water. Drain the water when they’re completely thawed. Place all the ingredients in the food processor and process until its creamy and thick.
Eat it with a spoon or serve with your choice of protein, sweet potato chips, raw carrots or apples.
My friends and I are totally addicted to this pea hummus. Not only does it taste delicious but the colour is gorgeous too! Any other hummus addicts out there? During hot summer season in Shanghai, I love digging into this light ’n fresh version of not so traditional hummus.
GREEN SMOOTHIE BOWL
I love to kick-start the day with good fats and greens. In fact, once you make this smoothie you will love it too - it’s yet another promise!
- 1 cup coconut milk or cream
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 drops of Lime DoTerra oil or 3 tbsp of lime juice
- 1 cup organic baby spinach or kale - lightly steamed
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter or any other nut butter
- 1 tbsp of ground turmeric (optional)
- 1 scoop of Primal Collagen (optional)
- 1 scoop of super greens powder (optional)
If you like your smoothie sweet then add 1 tbsp of raw honey.
Place all the ingredients in the food processor and process until its evenly combined.
Serve with your choice of organic berries, unsweetened shredded coconut or perhaps a Mantra Bar.
Now in case you didn’t notice, I’m a big fan of slaw salads because of their textures - crunchy & creamy and because it only takes 10 minutes to make it. This nutrient-dense slaw makes veggies taste delish plus there is no need for cooking!
Carrot, Zucchini, Rocket SLAW
For the salad:
- 3 medium organic carrots (shredded)
- 1 big organic zucchini (shredded)
- 2 cups washed organic rocket
- 1 tbsp of Goji Berries
For the dressing:
- 1 ripe large avocado (pit removed)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soaked chia seeds (optional)
- 3 drops of DoTerra wild orange essential oil
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
- 1 small chilli (optional)
- 2 tbsp Tahini paste
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar.
To make the dressing crush all the ingredients using a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste. For the salad SLAW just combine all the ingredients with the dressing and serve it with homemade turmeric kale chips, any other dish, or eat it on its own ;-)
Don’t forget to check out my blog for more recipes. If you decide to make any of my recipes don't forget to tag me on Instagram @ThriveInShanghai. I’d love to see it!
P.S. I have a quick announcement to make… ready?
For those ready, I have limited spaces available for one-on-one work. I find that free information is a great start, but it's personalised support and accountability that really make the difference. Find out more here. Time to ditch the dieting for good, make peace with food and love our healthy bodies.
Yours in health,