Sweet potatoes belong to my favourite list of cooking ingredients not only because of their abundant variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants but also because they’re freakin’ delicious! They provide a wonderful flavour on its own, or in any savoury or sweet dishes. Truth be told, I NEVER get sick of them.
Now, let’s take a closer look at all the goodies that sweet potatoes contain. They're rich in fibre, potassium, manganese, copper, vitamins (A, C, B3, B5, B6), and they’re a great source of slow-release carbohydrates that provide a steady stream of energy. If you want to know more about the amazing properties of sweet potatoes, read Ashley Tudor's book “Sweet Potato Power”.
If you haven’t gotten on the sweet potato bandwagon already, you might want to start with these simple recipes!
Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes - the foolproof method
- sweet potatoes (as many as you can fit on your glass tray)
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tbsp of turmeric
- sea salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 180C and place your chunky wedges- size pieces directly on to your glass tray. No need for the baking sheet!
- Bake for 50 minutes
- After turning off the oven, leave the sweet potatoes in the oven for around 10 minutes, this will make your potatoes super tender and moist in the middle.
- You can remove the skin before eating your sweet potatoes but I doubt a bit of skin is going to hurt you ;-)
You can eat these as they are
You can also add 1/2 cup of coconut milk, a dash of paprika and turn these yummy wedges into a delicious sweet potato mash.
You can make a lamb liver chilli recipe to go with it.
Lamb liver Chilli
To make liver chili you need 260g grass-fed lamb liver, 3 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp ground turmeric, 1 tbsp ground cumin, 1 onion (finely diced), 200g roasted cherry tomatoes, 1/4 tsp chilli powder, sea salt, 1 drop of Black Pepper DoTerra EO, 2 drops of Rosemary DoTerra EO. Place a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the coconut oil, turmeric and cumin and stir for 10 seconds. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and add the lamb liver and seal for 1 minute until brown. Add roasted cherry tomatoes and gently mix with the liver. Cook for 5 minutes until the lamb liver is cooked through. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor, add EOs and blend until smooth.
Spread thickly on a roasted sweet potato. ENJOY!
Chocolate Sweet Potato Pudding (serves 4) - MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE!
- 4 medium oven roasted sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 100ml full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp raw honey (optional)
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 drops of Wild Orange DoTerra Essential Oils (optional)
- 1 drop of Ginger DoTerra Essential Oils (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serve on its own, or with pancakes, or use as frosting!
Is your mouth watering yet?
Sweet Potato Bliss Balls (around 15 balls)
- 4 medium oven roasted Okinawan purple sweet potatoes - mashed
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of ground seeds or nuts of your choice
- 3 tbsp of raw cocoa powder
- dash of pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp of raw honey
- extra cocoa powder for rolling the balls in
Put all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. The mixture should come together like a dough. Take a bit of dough into your hands and roll the mixture into balls. Dust the sweet potato balls in cocoa powder. Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up. Enjoy!
Even though, sweet potatoes belong to nutrient-dense foods to get the most out of them remember to coat them with some GOOD fat to help you absorb all the fat-soluble vitamins. Not sure which fat is good for you, read my previous article.
Do you have your favourite sweet potato recipe? If so, please share it on my website.
If after reading these recipes you’re inspired to add essential oils to your cooking then you must get your hands on doTERRA EOs. Grab one of their starter kits (http://doterra.cn/first-order.html ) and sign up with my Sponsor ID, 237125, to get doTERRA products at wholesale prices (35-40% below retail). DoTERRA Kits are amazing as they include free oils… yay! Once you try doTERRA EOs I’m sure you’ll love these as much as I do! I love incorporating EOs into my kitchen because of the flavours and all the potential health benefits. If you’ve any questions regarding doTERRA EOs reach out to me at email@example.com or leave a comment below.
Izabela Misiuk Your Primal Health Coach
Want to share these recipes with your friends? Then go ahead and share it on Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, WeChat, or even by email with anyone you think might like to make these healthy recipies. I'll see that you get bonus karma points for taking the few seconds to do so.
The more the merrier!